Would you recognize the word Murgatroyd? – Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Lost Words from our childhood: Words gone as fast as the buggy whip! Sad really!
The other day, a not so elderly (65) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and said what is
a Jalopy? – he had never heard of the word jalopy!!
She knew she was old but not that old.
Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle –
About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become
obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases
included “Don’t touch that dial,” “Carbon copy,” “You sound like a
broken record” and “Hung out to dry.”
Back in the olden days we had a lot of moxie. We’d put on our best bib
and tucker to straighten up and fly right – Heavens to Betsy!
Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy moley! We were in like
Flynn and living the life of Riley and even a regular guy couldn’t
accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill.
Not for all the tea in China!
Back in the olden days, life used to be swell but when’s the last time
anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and
the D.A, of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and
pedal pushers. Oh, my aching back. Kilroy was here but he isn’t anymore.
We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap and before we
can say, well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle!/This is a fine kettle of fish! –
we discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed
omnipresent as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from
our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.
Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we’ve left behind. We blink
and they’re gone. Where have all those phrases gone?
Long gone: Pshaw/The milkman did it/Hey! It’s your nickel. Don’t
forget to pull the chain/Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks!
Going like sixty. I’ll see you in the funny papers. Don’t take any
wooden nickels/Heavens to Murgatroyd!
It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than
Carter has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff! We of a certain
age have been blessed to live in changeful times. For a child each new
word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of
the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are
words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted
their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in
our collective memory. It’s one of the greatest advantages of aging.
See ya later, alligator!……………In a while crocodile!
- Puns for the Educated Minds
- The Best Sermons Are Lived, Not Preached
- Stuff you didn’t know you didn’t know!
- Historical Trivia
- Why . . . Because
- Spoiled Food Guide
- Another Paraprosdokian
- Just Plain Neat Information
- Fun Puns
- HOW TO WASTE TIME
- RULES FOR REACHING A GOOD OLD AGE
- A paraprosdokian
- How Turmeric Can Prevent Cancer
- Philosophy 101
- Lost Words from Long Ago
- I’ve been everywhere
- Eat Lots Of Sweet Potatoes
- Andy Rooney – I’ve Learned
- Top 100 Names in America
- Our Amazing Bodies That God Made
- 10 Medicinal Uses for Dark Chocolate
- Stuff, Stuff and more Stuff
- 43 uses for WD-40
- Something For Seniors
- So You Think You Know Everything???
- Geography Facts, States and World Wide
- Things You Didn’t Know You Didn’t Know
- Inflammation Triggers the Symptoms of Disease
- The Human Body
- More Stuff
- Take the Zeal for Life Challenge
- The Year is 1914.
- Cancer: the Forbidden Cures – Full Documentary
- Laws They Don’t Teach in Physics:
- The Magic Square of 34
- Alkaline Water
- Amazing Story of Stuart Hamblin
- Strange English Language
- Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road?
- The Train
- 80 Uses for Coconut Oil
- 45 Great Uses for Lemons
- Remembering Mom’s Clothesline
- What you can make from a 480 pound bale of cotton
- Interesting States Facts
- Who Was The First President Of The USA?
- Magic Bank
- Men’s Learning Center
- Did Ya Ever Wonder?
- If I Knew
- The List – Top 50 Innovations
- How To Tell If Your Vitamins Are Working
- 31 Things You Can Freeze to Save Time and Money
- Things That Can Drive A Sane Person Insane
- Grandpa’s Hands
- Facts You May Not Know
- Did I Read That Sign Right?
- Eating Fruits
- I’ve learned – Andy Rooney
- God’s Wisdom
- Turmeric Produces ‘Remarkable’ Recovery in Alzheimer’s Patients
- Laws you Need to Know
- The Stranger
- And Then It Is Winter
- I Believe
- Homemade Mosquito Trap
- What’s UP?
- Actual comments made by Troopers
- Christian One Liners
- Interesting Math
- Good Advice
- Good Stuff
- Vicks VapoRub – Very Interesting!
- Lessons Life Taught Me
- A Simple Pineapple
- A Baby’s Hug – Beautiful Story
- How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity
- The Fence
- Understanding God’s World
- Redneck definition of medical terms
- Do You Belong To The “In Crowd”
- The Story of Praying Hands
- Find 30 books in the Bible
- 7-Day Diet Weight Loss Soup (Wonder Soup)
- Honey and Cinnamon
- Great Truths About Life
- Sweet Poison . . . A Must Read
- Danna’s Spanish Rice
- Subject: Cancer Update from Johns Hopkins
- Now you know more than you did before!!
- Student Who Obtained 0% On An Exam…And How He Did It….:)
- WISDOM – Written by a 90 year old
- Getting Old????
- My Favorite Animal – As Told By A Little Boy
- Old Paths
- Words To Live By
- Cinnamon Candy Apples or Pears
- Dick Vernon’s Home Made Spaghetti Sauce
- Golden Rules for Living
- Hank Williams legacy lives on
- Hank Williams Last Ride
- Better Than A Christmas Card
- 27 Questions
- Paul Harvey Transcript 1959
- Twas The Night Before Christmas as told by a scholar with 23 years of education
- Can You Read This ?????
- WHERE TO RETIRE
- To Realize
- Great Reading.
- Life Lessons
- These Are Golden Truths
- How to Kill Mosquitoes – NOT A JOKE
- Minimum Wage
- What If There Isn’t Anymore
- The Basic Rules For Clothes Lines:
- Israel – A Miracle!
- Letter to the IRS
- Eleven Rules for Students
- Eating Fruit
- TIPS ON PUMPING GAS
- Did You Know????
- DON’T LET IT END THIS WAY
- Rules for Clotheslines
- I Believe
- Why, Why, Why
- Eating Fruit
- The Tale of Two Pebbles
- AN IRISH FRIENDSHIP WISH:
- A Pet’s 10 Commandments
- 21 Important Lines of Wisdom
- Can You Read This ???????
- LISTEN TO DOCTOR CHANG……
- 1932 Dick Vernon was born
- QUESTIONS THAT HAUNT ME!
- People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
- Sick Of Winter
- A Spell Checker Poem
- October 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- August 2016
- May 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- November 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- December 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- October 2013
- September 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- 206,966 hits